HSLG Privacy Statement
Who we are
We are the Health Sciences Library Group (HSLG), of the Library Association of Ireland (LAI), The HSLG Committee is elected by members and manages the operation of the group.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. We use certain expressions throughout this document such as Personal data. This means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person. We do not collect special categories of personal data or sensitive personal data. For the purpose of General Data Protection Regulation (the ‘GDPR’), the data controller is the HSLG.
What information do we collect from you?
You may give us information by:
- corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. We ask you to disclose only as much information as is necessary for the purpose of your interaction with us or when submitting a question/suggestion/comment in relation to our website or our services.
- applying to become a member of the HSLG, which requires us to know your name and email address, and to confirm membership of the LAI.
- applying to become a member of the HSLG Committee, which requires an application form with name, organisation and address; and name of proposer and seconder.
- applying for a bursary, which requires an application form with sufficient information for the Committee to determine eligibility and appropriate funding, including name, job title, organisation and email address.
- using our website https://hslg.ie/. Website users may register to follow our blog and leave comments, and may agree to the collection of Cookies.
- using our email discussion list to communicate with other participants of the list. We ask for you to opt-in by providing your email address if you wish to participate.
- attending our annual general meeting and other events. We ask you to register for organisational purposes, and sign-in to confirm attendance. For paid-events we may require financial details in order to process funds.
Why do we collect this information?
We collect the information to operate the HSLG and the functions of the HSLG Committee.
We will use this information:
- to liaise with you about the work of the Committee;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us; or with the LAI and us;
- to maintain a mailing list so that we and other participants may share ideas and resources that may be of interest to you;
- to organise and communicate events and opportunities for you;
- for planning purposes and to improve our services;
- to administer and improve our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes; and as part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure;
The legal bases for the processing of your data are:
- that you have provided consent for the processing for one or more specific purposes. For example, when you subscribe to our mailing list or website alerts;
- processing necessary for the performance of a contract which you have entered into with us or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract;
- processing necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
What information about you do we obtain from others?
The HSLG is a group of the LAI. When joining the LAI you may choose to join the HSLG, at which point the LAI communicates your request for membership to us.
When organising joint-events with other LAI groups we may share names and organisations of attendees for operational purposes.
Where did we get this information?
The LAI and Committees of its groups may share information that you have consented to provide in order to join the group or register for an event or service.
Who might we share this information with?
We may share your information with selected third parties including business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you and to assist us in fulfilling our functions.
We have set out below a list of third parties with whom we share your data:
- Email, website and IT service providers
- Event registration providers
- Security software
- Cookie analytics service provider
How long do we keep hold of your information?
The time periods for which we retain your information depends on the type of information and the purposes for which we use it. We will keep your information for no longer than is required or permitted.
We do not transfer your data outside of the EU.
What are your rights with respect to your information?
You have the following rights
- The right to access the information we hold about you.
- The right to require us to rectify any inaccurate information about you without undue delay.
- The right to have us erase any information we hold about you in circumstances such as where it is no longer necessary for us to hold the information for your use of our services or if you have withdrawn your consent to the processing.
- The right to object to us processing information about you such as processing for profiling or direct marketing.
- The right to ask us to provide your information to you in a portable format or, where technically feasible, for us to port that information to another provider provided it does not result in a disclosure of information relating to other people.
- The right to request a restriction of the processing of your information.
Where our processing of your information is based on your consent to that processing, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time but any processing that we have carried out before you withdrew your consent remains lawful.
You may exercise any of the above rights by writing to The Chair, HSLG Committee at email@example.com
You may lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority with respect to our processing of your information. In Ireland, the local Supervisory Authority is the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner with an address at Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co. Laois.
What will happen if we change our privacy notice?
This notice may change from time to time, and any changes will be posted on our website and will be effective when posted. This notice was last updated on the date appearing on the first page.
How can you contact us?
You can contact the HSLG Committee by email at firstname.lastname@example.org