The Saint John of God Research Foundation clg is dedicated to providing a research infrastructure and developing a culture of inquiry across the Saint John of God Hospitaller Services Group. Our mission is to support the Hospitaller Services Group in achieving a service informed by research which will identify, respond to and support the needs of all individuals in the manner of Saint John of God. The Research Foundation funds research into mental health, intellectual disability and old age. The Company also supports research throughout Saint John of God Services through its Research Department and Library & Information Services. We advocate for the men, women and children who use our services, we share research findings and we facilitate professional training through our annual conferences and seminar series.
Job Description: Head of Library Services
Fixed Term Contract 12 months with a view to permanency
37 hours per working week
Employer: St John of God Research Foundation, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin.
Location: Saint John of God Hospital, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin
Saint John of God Lucena Clinic Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services, Rathgar, Dublin
Reporting to: General Manager of SJOG Research Foundation, Dr Lesley O’Hara
Proposed start date: September 2021
Term: Full Time 37 hours per working week & 1 year Fixed Term Contract
Hours: Normal hours of work will be Monday – Friday, 9 am till 5.30 pm
The Role: The role of the Librarian is to manage and develop services, both in the physical library and on-line via the Library website. The Library service caters to over 2,500 users, in various locations. The scope of the Library covers Adult Mental Health, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, and Intellectual Disabilities. The Librarian provides timely access to up-to-date information. It is a proactive and responsive service which will evolve and change over time to reflect the needs of library users.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take responsibility for the library content and development of a collection policy for the library regarding purchases and management of the online journal collection. Monitor usage and adjust acquisitions to reflect optimum value for money.
- Manage orders, print books, eBooks, journals and other items.
- Manage the yearly library budget.
- Take a proactive approach to marketing the library service within St. John of God Services.
- Be part of the induction process for new staff as requested.
- Represent the Library on Committees e.g. Research Advisory Committee
- Provide assistance to staff carrying out Research.
- Flexibility: Can operate flexibly within a busy environment; can shift focus when required.
- Motivated: Display a ‘can-do’ attitude, be committed to SJOG Research Foundation; demonstrate enthusiasm and passion for the role.
- Hold a professional qualification in Library and Information Science. Either a degree in LIS or a primary degree with a post graduate MSC. in Librarianship or a similar qualification.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential):
- Have 5 years experience in a Health Science or Academic Library and at least 2 years in a senior library management role
- Have experience in database searching
- Have experience in reviewing and negotiating Licensing Agreements with Publishers and/or Subscription Agents
- Have experience using library management software
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Have a high capacity for responsibility and individual initiative
Desirable Criteria: Knowledge of archiving and developing institutional repositories is desirable.
To apply: Please apply by sending your CV and Covering Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by deadline 13th August 2021.
Closing date: The closing date for applications is 13th August 2021 at 5pm.
Interview date: It is anticipated that interviews will take place mid to late August 2021.
Start date: The successful applicant will commence their role in September 2021 (This date is flexible).
Informal queries: Queries can be sent to the Administrative Assistant, SJOG Research Foundation, Louise Syms (email@example.com).