The HSLG conference 2021 has been postponed due to high Covid-19 rates. We hope to hold the event on 17 February 2022, so keep that date free.
The theme of our conference is Open to change and is aimed at people working or interested in library or information services in Ireland.
Our keynote is physicist, cancer researcher, and author Doctor David Robert Grimes. David’s presentation is called ‘Situation critical’. He tells us how we can be lured into making critical mistakes or drawing false conclusions, and how to avoid such errors. Given the power of modern science and the way that movements can unite to protest a cause via social media, we are in dangerous times. But fortunately, we can learn from our mistakes, and by critical thinking and scientific method we can discover how to apply these techniques to everything from deciding what insurance to buy to averting global disaster.
Our invited speaker is Library Association of Ireland president Cathal McCauley. Cathal will speak to us about current and future initiatives of the LAI.
Nikita Burke, Evidence Synthesis Ireland and Richard Hollis, Cochrane, will present the pilot findings of an evaluation of using Cochrane Interactive Learning modules in blended online learning for Evidence Synthesis Ireland in a presentation entitled: How to integrate Cochrane Interactive Learning to deliver systematic review training for early-career stage healthcare researchers.
Of course, we are delighted to showcase the knowledge and work of health librarians and information specialists in Ireland. We have the following presentations from members:
• Aoife Lawton, Health Service Executive – A national eHealth Library for Ireland: the story so far.
• Caitriona Lee, Health Research Board – Showing our workings: The new PRISMA 2020 and the use of search summary tables.
• Trish Patton, Irish College of General Practitioners – An action research study on the design and development of an e-learning module on information skills to empower general practitioners.
• Louise Farragher, Health Research Board – Citation tracking: tools and approaches.
• Liis Cotter, Health Service Executive – Nursing journal club for mental health nurses – it will never work, will it?
• Niamh O’Sullivan, Irish Blood Transfusion Service – Connections that count: credit to the crew.
Join us and meet members from a range of health and academic settings including hospital (HSE and voluntary) libraries, academic health libraries, state agencies, and NGOs. Register on Eventbrite here.
Please note: HSLG members have a specially reduced registration rate of €10. Members can also apply for the Bernard Barrett bursary which is a special award specifically to enable members from across Ireland to attend the HSLG annual conference or other relevant HSLG events. Members may apply for funds to cover the registration fee and/or travel expenses (if travelling some distance by public transport). Details are available on: https://hslg.ie/about/hslg-bursary/
Also note that due to Covid-19 restrictions, the hotel has informed us that an EU Digital COVID Certificate (COVID-19 pass) (vaccine or recovery certificate) will be required to attend our event.